Warriors still alive

Stawell Callawadda Estate Warriors have booked itsspot in the Wimmera Football League preliminary finalwith a 16-point win over the Horsham Demons.
Nanjing Night Net

Demons were the first to break the shackles with a goal at the seven minute mark.

Looking for options: Stawell’s Jamie Bach takes his time to evaluate what is happening before disposing of the football. Warriors won by 16 points. Picture: SAM CAMARRI

Demons kicked two in a row before Stawellbegan to weather the storm.

Damian Joiner

Despite trailing at the first break Stawell players were confident they were still the better team.

Stawell coach Brad Thomas was ecstatic with the win.

“We are very happy with the result,” he said.

“We improved as the game went on and we were playing our best football in the last 15 minutes when the game was on the line. That is all you can really ask for as a coach.”

Stawell got on top in the second quarter.

Warriors took a comfortable league in the second half, but the Demons were not going down without a fight.

Players from both sides put their bodies on the line.

Demons playing coach Nick Pekinwas a victim of a tough clash which resulted in him injuring his lower back.

He moved himself to the full forward position, but his impact on the game following the incident was minimal.

Stawell Warriors small forward Jesse Eckel laid a strong tackle and was rewarded with a free kick. The tackle resulted in a momentum swing and they were not to be stopped.

The final score was Stawell Warriors running out winners.15.9(93) defeated Horsham 12.11(83).

After a disappointing loss to Horsham Saints last week Thomas said his players responded well.

“I reckon our guys showed moire heart this week,” he said.

“They really rose tothe occasion this week. We were harder for longer and that is what we have been working towards.”

Warriors will now face Minyip Murtoa in the preliminary final.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.